Words to Speak

Let me ask you a question; why are you afraid to speak about Jesus?
Camp is only a few short weeks away, and I've been getting ready by praying and preparing my heart to serve. The two single most important things about camp is that we love on the kids and give them a chance to hear the Gospel. But sometimes, it takes courage to talk about the Gospel. One of the foremost things that I've been praying, again and again, is that God would give me words to speak, and that He would give me courage to speak them.
So what am I scared of? What's keeping me from shamelessly sharing about God?
Fear of embarrassment. Fear of confrontation. Fear that I won't know what to say. Fear that I might say the wrong thing, and get God's Word wrong.
Basically fear.
But why does fear matter?
Honest question, why does it matter if we're embarrassed? If we are confronted? If we're mocked or ignored? Do those things make a difference to God? Does the way that other people receive us make a difference to the way God receives us?
No. 
The Lord looks at the heart, not at our mistakes and blunders.
1 Peter 3:13- "Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? but even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened."
That last quote is from Isaiah. The second part of verse 12, chapter 8, says, "Do not fear what they fear, and do not dread it."
It goes on to say, "The Lord Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, He is the one you are to fear, He is the one you are to dread."
God does not care what men think of us. So then we should not care.
But sometimes, fear persists. So here's a few things from 1 Peter to practice when you find yourself fighting fear:

~Know in your heart. "But in your hearts, set apart Christ as Lord." (vs.15

~Prepare. "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." (v. 15)

~Be thoughtful. "But do this with gentleness and respect,"

~With pure intentions. "keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."

And always, always pray. It says over in Chapter 4, 1 Peter, that if anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides
so that
in all things, God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.
Pray for strength, for words, for courage. Don't be afraid, my friends. Live life fearlessly.

Photo source: Strong Tower Ranch FB

-Tessa

Comments

  1. WHY DID I NOT COMMENT ON THIS YET???? I'M SORRY. Somehow I missed this post!!!
    Anyways.
    Yes, I agree. Fear is very crippling, and the Devil can use it against a child of God terribly.
    But thankfully, the perfect "Love of God casts out fear".

    Great post.

    Also, I tagged you at my blog! Hear ya go!
    https://thestorybookjournal.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-greatest-showman-book-tag-taking.html

    Love,
    Amaris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Amaris! :) It means a lot.
      And yay! Thanks! I can't wait to do my first tag!
      -Tessa

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts