Let the Lower Lights Be Burning

  1. Brightly beams our Father’s mercy,
    From His lighthouse evermore,
    But to us He gives the keeping
    Of the lights along the shore.

  2. Let the lower lights be burning!
  3. Send a gleam across the wave.
  4. Some poor *struggling, fainting seaman,
  5. You may rescue, you may save.
  6. Dark the night of sin has settled,
    Loud the angry billows roar;
    Eager eyes are watching, longing,
    For the lights along the shore.
  7. Let the lower lights be burning!
  8. Send a gleam across the wave.
  9. Some poor *struggling, fainting seaman,
  10. You may rescue, you may save.
  11. Trim your feeble lamp, my brother;
    Some poor sailor, tempest-tossed,
    Trying now to make the harbor,
    In the darkness may be lost.

  12. Let the lower lights be burning!
  13. Send a gleam across the wave.
  14. Some poor *struggling, fainting seaman,
  15. You may rescue, you may save.


I came across this hymn a few years ago, and it has always stuck with me. 
You always hear about God as being a light-house; that huge, life-saving spotlight that stands out through the dark, and calls you home. I love that image. And I love to think of fellow Christians as the lower lights, the little gleams that shoot out from windows along the shore. 
That big light is the ultimate call, the real thing that saves you. But those little lights are witnesses, truth that yes, there IS a shore there! It's real, and that big Light up there, that is what's going to bring you home. 
Those lower lights are important. That's the Christ-followers. We're called to stand out in the dark, and be a testimony. 
So let your light shine for all to see. 

Philippians 2:15- 
"So that you may become blameless and pure, "children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation." Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky."


Comments

  1. Amen!!

    I've heard this hymn before, but never read all the lyrics. What a great one!! I absolutely love that image <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I read it for school a couple years ago, and it has never left me. :)

      Delete
  2. *clapping because hymns are great and also it’s half past midnight right now so I don’t have anymore to comment because I’m tired and I need to sleep*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts